Are you looking to enhance the comfort of your outdoor living space while adding a touch of style? Or perhaps you’re searching for a practical solution to shield you and your family from the unpredictable British weather. Either way, awnings might just be the answer to your needs.
In this Guide to Awnings, we at Homely Blinds and Shutters, a trusted provider of made-to-measure blinds, shutters, and awnings in Norfolk, aim to educate you on what an awning is, why you need one, how it works, and the weather conditions it can withstand. So, let’s dive into the world of awnings, where style and functionality meet in perfect harmony.
Table of Contents
An awning is a secondary covering attached to the exterior wall of a building. It is typically composed of canvas or other weather-resistant materials stretched over a light structure of aluminium, iron, or steel, and in some cases, wood. The purpose of an awning is to provide a shade that shields the interior of the building from the sun’s harsh rays, reduce glare and sunlight on windows, protect outdoor areas from weather conditions, and enhance outdoor living spaces.
Awnings come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles. From retractable awnings to motorised ones, the options are practically endless. They can be tailored to suit different architectural styles and individual preferences, making them a popular choice for both residential and commercial properties.
You can find awnings installed over windows, doors, patios, decks, and terraces. Commercially, they are widely used over storefronts, restaurants, and hotel entrances. Awnings add a layer of protection, creating a shield against the sun, wind, or rain, and provide a cosy, shaded area for people to enjoy the outdoors without exposure to direct sunlight or other weather elements.
In a residential setting, awnings can transform your outdoor space into an additional room where you can relax and entertain. Picture this: you’re comfortably lounging under your awning, a cool drink in hand, enjoying a beautiful summer afternoon without worrying about sunburn. Or perhaps, you’re hosting a barbecue party, and despite the light drizzle, your guests are having a fantastic time under the shelter provided by your awning.
In short, awnings can significantly enhance the usability and style of your outdoor areas, making them a worthwhile addition to any home or business establishment. At Homely Blinds and Shutters, we offer a variety of awnings, all custom-fitted to seamlessly blend with your space and meet your specific needs.
Awnings are not just a decorative addition to your outdoor spaces; they are a functional investment that provides numerous benefits:
- Protection from the elements: Awnings provide excellent protection from the sun, rain, and even wind when appropriately designed. They allow you to make the most of your outdoor space, regardless of the weather.
- Energy efficiency: Awnings can help reduce energy costs by shading windows and doors, thereby reducing the amount of heat that enters your home during summer months. This can lead to lower air conditioning use and significant savings on your energy bills.
- Enhanced outdoor living space: With an awning, your patio, deck, or terrace can become an extended living area. It’s the perfect place for alfresco dining, entertaining guests, or simply enjoying a peaceful afternoon.
- UV protection: The harsh UV rays of the sun can not only damage your skin but also cause fading of your outdoor furniture, curtains, and carpets. Awnings provide effective UV protection, shielding your skin and your furnishings.
- Increased property value: As well as improving the aesthetic appeal of your home or business, high-quality, bespoke awnings can potentially increase your property’s value. It’s a worthwhile investment that pays for itself in the long run.
At Homely Blinds and Shutters, we believe in the transformative power of well-designed, custom-made awnings. We’re here to help you reap all these benefits and more, offering a variety of made-to-measure awnings to cater to your unique needs and preferences.
Now that we’ve talked about the benefits of having an awning, let’s delve a little deeper into the mechanism behind these handy additions to your home or business. Understanding how awnings work can help you make an informed decision on the type that would best suit your needs.
Awnings come in various styles, including stationary (fixed), portable, retractable, and motorised, each having its unique mechanism.
- Stationary Awnings: As the name suggests, these awnings are fixed structures. They’re permanently attached to the exterior of the building, providing continuous shade and weather protection. Their sturdy construction makes them a reliable option for areas exposed to various weather conditions. However, their permanency means they don’t offer flexibility if you want to control the amount of shade or sunlight at different times of the day or year.
- Portable Awnings: These are stand-alone shades that can be moved around to suit your needs. While they offer flexibility, their protection is typically limited to smaller areas, and they may not withstand harsh weather as well as their fixed counterparts.
- Retractable Awnings: These are a popular choice among homeowners because they offer the best of both worlds – protection when you need it and the option to retract when you want to enjoy the sunshine. They can be manually operated with a hand crank or cord, or motorised for easier operation.
- Motorised Awnings: Motorised awnings are the pinnacle of convenience and luxury. With a touch of a button, you can extend or retract the awning. Some advanced models even come with sun and wind sensors that automatically adjust the awning according to the weather conditions.
In terms of their construction, most awnings consist of a fabric cover, a frame (often made of metal, wood, or plastic), and the hardware (such as brackets and arms) that attaches the awning to the building and supports the frame. The fabric can be made of different materials, including canvas, acrylic, or polyester, each offering varying degrees of weather resistance and durability.
Regardless of the type of awning you choose, it’s essential to ensure it is properly installed by a professional. At Homely Blinds and Shutters, we provide a seamless, custom-fitted installation, ensuring your awning looks great and functions perfectly.
Sun protection is one of the primary functions of an awning. On hot summer days, an awning can significantly reduce the heat that reaches your outdoor living spaces and even the inside of your home. It provides a cool and shaded area where you can relax without worrying about harmful UV rays.
Moreover, awnings can help prevent the sun’s rays from fading your indoor and outdoor furniture, carpets, and curtains, preserving their colour and integrity over time.
Awnings, especially retractable ones, are designed to withstand moderate wind speeds, providing a shield against dust and debris carried by the wind. However, in heavy wind conditions, it is generally recommended to retract your awning to avoid potential damage.
Some advanced motorised awnings come with wind sensors that automatically retract the awning when wind speeds reach a certain level, providing an extra layer of protection.
Many awnings are made with water-resistant fabrics and are designed to shed water effectively, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor space even when it’s raining. They can protect your windows and doors from water damage and prevent rain from entering your patio or deck.
However, during heavy rain or snow, it’s advisable to retract your awning. Pooling water or heavy snow accumulation can damage the fabric and put excessive weight on the frame.
While awnings are designed to withstand typical weather conditions, they are not invincible against severe weather events. Here are a few tips for protecting your awning:
- Always retract your awning in heavy rain, snow, or high winds to prevent damage.
- Ensure your awning is installed at the correct angle for optimal water runoff.
- Regularly check your awning for signs of wear and tear and keep it clean.
- Consider a professional awning maintenance service to ensure its longevity.
Here at Homely Blinds and Shutters in Norfolk, we understand that the weather can be unpredictable, which is why we ensure our custom-fitted, made-to-measure awnings are made from durable materials designed to withstand the elements. But we also believe in the importance of educating our customers about the best practices for using and maintaining their awnings in different weather conditions.
As we’ve discovered in this guide, awnings are more than just a stylish addition to your home. They offer a wealth of benefits, from enhancing your outdoor living space to reducing your energy bills, protecting your interior furnishings, and offering a versatile solution for all weather conditions.
We’ve delved into what an awning is, the benefits it brings, the mechanics behind its operation, and how to use it in different weather conditions. Hopefully, this information helps you in your decision-making process and allows you to envision the transformation an awning could bring to your home.
Whether you’re in the market for a stationary, retractable, or motorised awning, at Homely Blinds and Shutters, we pride ourselves in offering a wide range of bespoke, made-to-measure options tailored to your specific needs and style preferences. Our professional team in Norfolk is always ready to help you choose the right awning and ensure it’s perfectly fitted to your home.
If you have any further questions about awnings or any other window and door coverings, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re here to help transform your house into the home you’ve always envisioned.